Wednesday 17 October 2012

Phillip Island Cont.

As we wandered along one of the boardwalks of Phillip Island, we saw this Kelp Gull in the distance. 
This post is for Wild Bird Wednesday

  Kelp Gull (Larus dominicanus)

Pacific Gull (Larus pacificus)
When we reached one of the lookouts we saw this pair of Pacific Gulls on a rocky outcrop.

 Little Penguin (Eudyptula minor)
This Little Penguin was taken on the mainland at St Kilda.

On Phillip Island we were lucky enough to see one in its burrow, they have a Penguin Parade at sunset. Go to the link below to read more about the penguins, and the relocation of people and their homes from the penguin breeding grounds, these being given back to the penguins. This was made as a TV series.
 http://www.360degreefilms.com.au/assets/files/penguin-island-presskit.pdf

The water looked clear, cold, and rough.
Phillip Island coastline
Seal Rocks

Mangrove Walk Rhyll Inlet
Some of the vegetation beside the boardwalk.

The end of the boardwalk were the water channels through the mangroves

23 comments:

mick said...

Nice photos of the Gulls and the coastline around Philip Island is magnificent.

Carole M. said...

looking like a wonderful place to visit and I'd love to see the little penguins like you did

Phil Slade said...

The coastline looks so wild and windy but perhaps it's not like that all year round. Interesting to see the large gulls.

HansHB said...

Great photos!
Have a nice day!

eileeninmd said...

Neat shots of the gulls and little penquin! He is a cutie! Great sighting!

Les fous du cap said...

Any chance to see these wonders of nature ;-)
Céline & Philippe

i stora drag said...

Oh, the little penguin, so sweet it was. Nice photos from your side of the world!
Greetings Pia in Sweden

Stewart M said...

Hi there - I think Philip Island is the best spot I know for Kelp Gulls - in fact its the only place I "expect" to see them.

Like the Penguin as well - they certainly are crowd pleasers!

Thanks for linking to WBW

Stewart M - Australia

Hootin Anni said...

As far as I know, we don't have this species of gull....it's marked beautifully. That penguin is too sweet for words!!! And some great sea shore scenes in your post also.

Unknown said...

Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

The coastline and birds are beautiful!

Liva`s said...

Your coastline looks like a great place - nice little penguins :-D

Adam Jones said...

Such a lovely coastline. Have a great day.

Rajesh said...

Wonderful shots. I like that little penguin.

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful post! I enjoyed your photos of both scenery and the birds. Thank you!

Debbie said...

I, unlike many, love the gulls. I have lots of fun watching and photographing them.

Pretty shoreline and what a cute little penguin!

Kerri Farley said...

Oh what a lovely place! Pretty gull and I just LOVE Penguins :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a wonderful day of birding! Wow, I had no idea about the penguins...I will go to that link later. I love the wild coastline.

NatureFootstep said...

I have seen that Little Penguin once. When I visited NZ. It was the sweetest little bird you could see. Thanks for reminding me.

EG CameraGirl said...

I find it amazing how many different kinds of gulls there are!

Johnny Nutcase said...

that's a pretty gnarly coastline, nice! like the gulls too!

Johnny Nutcase said...

(and penguin!) :)

Unknown said...

I enjoy the kelp gulls down there too. I especially lobe their call. Quite different from our other gulls!