Sunday 28 March 2010

Whimbrel, Red-necked Stint , Double-banded Plover

Went down to Rainbow Beach for the opening of the Great Walk (Cooloola Section) which I will post soon. After the opening we went to Inskip Point to see what Shorebirds were still around. Walking through the track to the point we saw Scarlet Honeyeater, Rainbow Lorikeet, Little Wattlebird, Brown Honeyeater and others, but they were either uncooperative for decent photographs or it was too shady. On the beach were a couple of Whimbrel, Red-necked Stint and some very fat Double-banded Plover, and not much else.

Click on photos to enlarge

Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus)

Red-necked Stint (Calidris ruficollis)
Double-banded Plover (Charadrius bicinctus)

18 comments:

Müge said...

This is the first time I see a Whimbrel. It's beautiful and cute! :-)

mick said...

Nice photos - both! I like the size comparison of the Stint and the Plover.

Neil said...

Thanks Muge always good to see new birds.
Thanks Mick photos come in handy to see size difference between species.

Unknown said...

Love both shots.
Amazing how similar the Whimbrel looks to the Curlew. Glad for the different beak size :)

Larry said...

That Plover does look a bit chunky huh Neil? I like the action shot of the Whimbrel too.

Neil said...

Thanks Nicole & Larry for your comments

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a good birdy day over all. I, too, enjoyed the close look at the stint and plover. It's very rewarding to see the differences in photos that disappear to the naked eye if you're any distance away.

Neil said...

Thanks Wren

Mosura said...

The Scarlet Honeyeater would have made my day.

Neil said...

Thanks Mosura I guess we tend to take them for granted up this way.

Lana Gramlich said...

Any birds are good birds. Even when they're few. Nice shots!

Neil said...

Thanks Lana it is better to see some than none.

Kelly said...

...love that Whimbrel. When I was in Florida a few weeks I ago I looked for one, but the tide was wrong and I missed out. You captured a lovely photo of him!

Neil said...

Thanks Kelly keep looking you will get one some day.

NatureFootstep said...

the waders started to arrive, but so far in small numbers. I have a lot to learn about them so I am looking forward to it.

Neil said...

Great that they have started to arrive NF.

Johnny Nutcase said...

Sounds like a lot of good birds! Great shots, that plover is awfully chubby!

Neil said...

Thanks Johnny